Monday, February 7, 2011

Babysitter or Day Care Provider?

I was having a conversation with my cute husband this morning on the way to breakfast (gotta love a man who wants to take you out to breakfast on a rainy Monday morning :))  and he was asking me about why some states have continuing education requirements for day care providers and why some do not. And, in the same vein, why do some states highly regulate who is allowed to provide continuing education, and others don't care or pay attention.  It was an excellent question.

I think that some states just do not prioritize the education of the caregivers who are taking care of their babies.  Those states are viewing day care providers as "babysitters", instead of professionals who have the ability to shape and form the little minds of itty bitty members of society.  To be generous, they are trying to decrease bureaucracy and red tape, and not have big government.  OK, I  get that.  HOWEVER, our children are our nations greatest national resource!  Why cut there???  I'll never understand that.

So, I think in many ways, its going to have to be up to the providers to decide how they want to deliver their services.  Do they want to be a babysitter, someone who merely provides a place for the children to be supervised while the parents are at work.  OR, do they want to be a professional day care provider, a small business owner, someone who provides value-added?  A teacher, a mentor, a life-long learner?

Its up to you!  I know who I would bring my kids to, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment